Sunday, 14 September 2014
Friday, 12 September 2014
Tuesday, 9 September 2014
Here's me on my 18th Wedding Anniversary (7th September), and here's my first real #strikingmums post. Kate posed some questions for us to think about as we start the journey, so here goes:
1. Are you match fit as a mum?
I think so! I did get a bit complacent at the start of the year, but having gone back to employment in May after being a WAHM for a number of years, I've had to get super-organised so that laundry is done, food is prepared and I keep on top of knowing where everyone is supposed to be.
I had cancer a couple of years ago and signed up to do some clinical trials with my oncologists, so I've been seeing my surgeon, my chemo oncologist and my radiotherapy oncologist every 6 months for follow-ups, general poking about and checking my wellbeing. I'm actually about to be signed off from one and will move to seeing the other two once a year, but that's fine.
I know I need to drop a bit of weight and as well as walking, I've downloaded the Couch to 5K running programme which I've done before, I just need to schedule time in to actually do it.
2. What baby step can you take towards your hopes and dreams this week?
I wanted to have a conversation with my boss about opportunities at work and the chance to do that came yesterday. We had a really good conversation and I know what I need to do to move on.
3. Who can help you on your journey? Are you reaching out to them? if not, why not?
My family need to be behind me and they are (yay), I've talked about my plans to my Hubby and he's there for me.
Talking to my boss was really important and I did that, even though my heart was in my mouth as I was pretty scared to put my cards on the table.
All in all then, I'm pretty pleased that I know what I want to do and how I'm going to achieve it. I feel positive as I move forward.
Monday, 8 September 2014
A busy week all round this week, so lots if things that can be cooked in advance or are quick to prepare. This week we will mostly be eating...
Monday - Pasta and red pesto sauce
Tuesday - Chickpea and veggie stew
Wednesday - Minestrone soup and bread
Thursday - Spicy sausages, tomatoes and pasta
Friday - Veggie stirfry
Saturday - Homemade pizza
Sunday - Beef casserole
Sunday, 7 September 2014
Friday, 5 September 2014
Tuesday, 2 September 2014
Isn't it amazing how things sometimes come along at exactly the right time? I was sitting thinking that I needed to make some time to review my goals and plan some next steps and then I read Kate's post about Striking Mums .
This project is exactly what I need right now and so, here I am writing my first post and planning how to continue.
- To get a new job - Those of you who read my blog regularly will know that in May I returned to to world of employment after a number of years of being self-employed. The job I got is providing supply cover at a Pre-School, so there are no guaranteed hours each week. My goal now is to get a job with guaranteed hours and a regular income.
- To stop wasting time - I'm terrible for letting the day slip away pretending to be busy, so I want to discipline myself into doing productive work every day. I need to get back into the habit of making a 'Must Do' list for the day that I can cross off as I achieve things (I like crossing things off).
- To not be a slave to my computer - The default for my computer is going to be "off" rather than "on". Having spent seven years as a self-employed writer/blogger I'm used to sitting in front of my computer and it always being on. To help me be less tied to my laptop I'm going to switch it off and put it away rather than keeping it on my desk and I'm going to ban my iPad from my bedroom so I don't automatically reach for it. I'd rather access my email/social media for an hour a day than continue to let it suck time away from me.
So there you are...